Domestic abuse

The police estimate that they get a call every minute from someone who is a victim of domestic abuse.

The term refers to threats, violence or abuse between people who have a relationship with each other, have had in the past or are family members.

Domestic abuse can take different forms:

  • Physical abuse: Pushing, hitting, punching, kicking, choking and using weapons.
  • Sexual abuse: Forcing or pressuring someone to have sex (rape), unwanted sexual activity, touching, groping someone
  • Financial abuse: Taking money, controlling finances, not letting someone work.
  • Emotional/psychological abuse: Coercive and controlling behaviour, making someone feel bad or scared, stalking, blackmailing, constantly checking up on someone, playing mind games.

Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme (Clare's Law)

The Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme is often called Clare's Law after the case that led to it.

This law gives any member of the public the right to ask the police if their partner may post a risk to them. Under Clare's Law, a member of the public can also make enquiries into the partner of a close friend or family member.

Once an application is made (by contacting local Police), police and partner agencies will carry out a range of checks to reveal any records of abusive offences or record of any risk of violence or abuse. They will then consider which information to share with you.

Any disclosure of information will be made to you in person.

Reporting domestic abuse

If you want to report to the Police, you can call 101, attend your local police station or report online. If it is an emergency or you are in danger, please call 999.

Police officers will speak to you away from the person responsible and will keep you up to date through any investigation.

Police may decide to serve a Domestic Violence Protection Order. This means that a perpetrator can be 'banned' from returning to the home and having contact with you. 


Regardlesss of whether you report to the police, there is support available to you. Some services you can see on the right hand side of this page, otherwise use the search box at the top of the page to find a support service for you.

We have also included some more information within our Frequently Asked Questions. 

Leave site now